-----

"Newly Blued firearm rusted in under a week"

I just finished blueing an old 30-30 it came out looking great, I let it sit for 24 hrs and than polished it with 0000 steel wool [affil. link to info/product at Rockler] and wiped it down with Barricade [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] several times and than put the gun away in my safe, a week later (today) I wiped down the gun a found a lot of rust. How do you stop the rust?

Stephen Jeruss
Hobbyist - Sacramento, California, USA
^

Factory "blueing" is actually black oxide, applied at 290° F. Whatever you did at home is something else - it is not the same as, or equivalent to, factory blueing.

There is a reason that factory guns are done by the hot black oxide process. It is superior.

Most of the imitation processes intended for amateur D-I-Y use leave a brownish residue which will wipe off.

You should direct your inquiry to the mfgr of the product you used.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg, South Carolina
^