-----

"Alodine 1200s: How do I get class 1A AND class 3?"

I know that I can use the product of Henkel Alodine 1200s to get the MIL-C-5541-F class 1A or 3. But I wasn't able to find how to get class 1A and how to get class 3. Which is the difference? Time? pH? Temperature?

Thanks for your answers

Antonio Ruiz
customer - SPAIN
^

Hi, Antonio. I have seen shops get a clear chromate by dipping for just 15 seconds into a yellow chromate, and then leaching the color out by soaking in warm water -- but some people question whether this really affords measurable protection. It is much better to install 2 tanks, one for Class 1A and one for Class 3. Please note that Alodine 1200S is a proprietary product, and Henkel will supply you with a technical data sheet for the recommended times, pH, and temperature.

^

Per MIL-C-5541, a clear coating is NOT allowed for either Class 1a or 3 unless specified by the purchaser. When using products that are listed on the QPL for both classes, such as Alodine 1200, there is NO requirement to process the Classes differently. There could be an additional electrical resistance testing for Class 3 coatings, but only when required by the purchaser.

Chris Jurey, Past-President IHAA
Luke Engineering & Mfg. Co. Inc.
Wadsworth, Ohio
luke banner
^