-----

"Aging new nickel-plated guitar tuners"

I am making a guitar and have purchased bright nickel tuning machines. I have decided the overall design would look better if the machines were grey, or at least matte silver. The machines are sealed, but I am concerned they may not withstand any gooey dipping. Any ideas?

Douglas Staton
Luthier - Tucson, Arizona
^

Doug,

As a guitar player and collector myself I can appreciate what you are trying to accomplish. I don't advise that you try to age the sealed tuning machines. You very well could damage the machines and render them useless. Aged tuners are sold by most of the major manufacturers such as Grover, Kluson, Gotoh and others and I can guarantee you that the metal parts are aged prior to assembly. It would be well worth your while to purchase the pre-aged tuners for the $60.00 - $100.00 cost rather than risk destroying a perfectly good set of tuners. Use the polished one for your next project instead. Visit Stewart-MacDonald's website.

Tim Hamlett
Tim Hamlett, CEF
- West Palm Beach, Florida, USA
^