Looking for a DYI method for a baked-on shellac finish for sheet brass

Greetings, I'm looking for information about oven baking a shellac finish on brass. I'm a furniture restorer by trade and I've heard that 18th century furniture makers used baked-on shellac coatings to seal brass from corrosion etc. I've been making some "art" fish lately from carved wood with brass fins. I've been shellacing the fins and tinting them with aniline dyes and I thought that baking the shellac might preserve the colors and provide a protective finish on the brass. I'm very low tech so I'm looking for what temperature is required and can I do this in my home oven without killing myself. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Jim Boesel
artist - Washougal, Washington, USA