-----

"Can't find Hard Anodizing in Turkey"

Dear Sirs,
It may be a very simple question for you but I decided to write anyways. While I was visiting U.S.A., I saw parts that were hard anodized for marine use. When I came back home to Istanbul, I have asked a close-by anodizing shop that I want my boat aluminum parts to be hard anodized but they did not understand what I am asking for. Is this procedure very different from standard anodizing system that they did not understand me or it may be that locally it has a completely different translation name? Is it possible to find a simple explanation of the sequence of this process so that I can translate and explain what I am looking for ? Thank you in advance

Halil Guveli
sailboat hobbyist - Gebze, Kocaeli, Turkey
^

Hi, Halil. Perhaps the easiest way to explain what the difference is, is to refer you and your shop to Mil-A-8625, where conventional anodizing is "Type II" and hardcoat anodizing is "Type III".

Type III is done at much lower temperature (about 0 C), much higher voltage (maybe 40 to 75 volts), and much greater thickness (about .002").

^