-----

"What alloy are VW Aristo OEM wheels? Will powder coating damage them?"

I'm looking to refinish a set of wheels. The wheels are OEM VW Aristos. A magnet will not stick to them and I know they are alloy wheels. I am just trying to make sure I do not heat them up too much in the oven during the powder coat process. Thank you.

William Wolpert
shop employee - Bloomfield, Connecticut, United States
^

Most aluminum wheels are cast using the alloy A356 (UNS A03560) and subsequently heat treated to the T6 condition for increased strength. The aging temperature for the T6 condition is 150 C, which means any heating of the part above this temperature will permanently soften it.

Toby Padfield
Automotive component manufacturer - Michigan, USA
^