-----

"Plating on plastics books?"

As a chemist in a plating car industry specialized on plating on plastic in France, I search recent books related to the plating on plastic to help me.
We use a sulfochromic etch and I would like to know a different way to substitute for it.

Moreover, Boric acid will pass at the end of this year as a carcinogenic product and I would like also to find a way to substitute it because of the law.

Information about new nickel and chromium III technologies will help me a lot to forecast new process in the aim to totally eliminate Chromium VI in the factory.

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Denis

Marandet Denis
Chemist - Morteau, France
^

Hi, Marandet. There are gaseous etch machines available for use in plating on plastic that will eliminate the need for the chromic acid wet etch.

I find it impossible to believe that boric acid will be ruled a carcinogen since it is widely used in eyewashes, vaginal douches, anti-yeast suppositories and other personal products, and is perhaps the most widely used buffering solution in industry. Please provide a link to some information about that.

Journals such as Metal Finishing magazine and Plating & Surface Finishing should help keep you updated on progress and substitutes in this field. Good luck.

^