-----

Hot Dip Galvanising Bath for Economic Development Initiative

I am working with an NGO in West Africa to assist entrepreneurs to establish and grow sustainable businesses. One gentleman has identified a significant need in the market for a method to protect metal furniture they produce in the region from corrosion.

Specifically, he would like to set up a hot dip galvanising bath. The dimensions would be no larger than 2 meters long x 1 meter x 1 meter. I would like to help him find an economical approach to obtaining the technology and the materials required for operation. Can you please share some

Michael Cohen
enterprise development advisor - Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Sir,

The economics and technology of a small kettle that you mentioned are terrible. On a practical basis a kettle MUST have a depth to width ratio of about 1.5 to 2 to enable sufficient side wall heating area. Galvanizing kettles cannot be heated from the bottom.

Recently I did a few page study of a small galvanizing kettle and many, many problems were exposed. The owner was not happy with this study and broke off e-mails. I would send you a copy of this study if you go to my finishing.com website and e-mail me. Also I would include an article that I published on kettle furnace design and one on flux.

Dr. Thomas H. Cook
Galvanizing Consultant - Hot Springs, South Dakota, USA