-----

"Best material for master model for silicone mold"

I'm looking for recommendations for creating/finishing a master model that I would use to make silicone molds from. This is for production of fishing lures. The finish needs to be as smooth as possible. Some of the choices I have seen are polished plastic, polished aluminum, chrome plating over some base metal, polyurethane over wood.

Frank Kacerek
Product designer - Cape May, New Jersey
^

Look up remeltable PVC (vynamould) can be poured over a master to form a semi flexible mould.

Terry Hickling
Birmingham, United Kingdom
^

If you are using something like Dow Corning 3120 RTV, you could use a current lure and hit it with a mold release agent or a spray silicon product so that it does not stick. It needs to be a smooth part or it will not come out of the RTV very well.

^

I have several suitable RTV mold materials. What I'm looking for is a recommendations for the model lure. I want as smooth a finish on the model as possible since any imperfection will get picked up in the mold and reproduced.

Frank Kacerek
- Cape May, New Jersey
^