-----

"Charcoal filtering for air pollution control of small-scale nickel plating"

Can charcoal filtering be used for air purification for small indoor nickel plating projects like plating bolts in a 600 cc beaker at 140 °F Watts nickel sulfate ?

GREG SMITH
- Wentzville, Missouri
^

Hi, Greg. The vapor pressure of nickel is very low. Until maybe 15 years ago I never saw a nickel plating tank ventilated, and I'm talking of tank capacities of thousands and tens of thousands of gallons. So you do not need any kind of fume scrubbing for a 600 cc beaker, and I doubt that charcoal filtering would remove much nickel is any was detectable, which it probably won't be :-)

For the benefit of other readers who might get confused, I should probably note that I don't think it's correct to call a nickel sulfate bath "Watts", though; I think that term implies a mixed nickel sulfate / nickel chloride bath.

^