-----

"Looking for a protective coating for acid sensitive items with sharp edges"

I am a jewelry designer/artist and I electroform many jewelry pieces that are made from materials that are acid sensitive. My greatest problem comes when trying to coat items that have sharp edges. I find it difficult to get a protective coating that will adhere right down to the very edge of a sharp-edged item without peeling away or allowing the solution to seep under or through the edge of the coating while plating in acid -based electroforming solutions at room temperature. Ideally I need something that can be brushed or sprayed on (from an aerosol can) that will absolutely stop the acid in my solution from reaching the surface of the acid sensitive object, and hopefully without having to resort to a super thick layer. I have tried many products already, including plastic sprays, various glues and adhesives, and so far, nothing has been ideal. Whatever coating product I use will need to be easily removable, for example by use of a solvent. Does anyone know of any products (or know of any tricks)that might fit my needs? Thanks.

Vance McCollum
Jewelry Designer - Summerville, South Carolina, USA
^

Have you tried stripable paints? Are tapes possible?

^