-----

"How to re-rifle and re-blue Winchester model 1906"

I inherited a model 1906 winchester pump action .22 nearly 25 years ago. the rifling is completely gone. is there a way to re-rifle a barrel? say an insert after re boring. then re-crown? also the finish (blueing) is non existent would re doing the blueing affect value?

Kevin Rhoades
hobbyist - Montague, Michigan
^

If the gun has any collector value at all leave the finish alone do not even try to clean it up or fix anything on it. Left alone they are worth more.

Frank DeGuire
- St. Louis, Missouri, USA
^

Well you are going to have to find a gunsmith first. I can tell you right now that what you have is not really collectable. In good condition they can bring up to $400 / $500 but from what you describe you have a parts gun or a base gun on which to build. A new barrel is going to be far too much money. I think Shillen and Dougless will charge you upwards of $150 for a blank barrel and you will still be looking at an additional $200 to have it installed. What you can do is get a gunsmith to install a liner tube into it. The cost for that is something like $150 USD and then have the gunsmith polish and hot blue it which will set you back another $150. You will basically be getting a new gun out of the deal providing the action is sound which is not such a bad deal for $300. Yes that is the price of a new gun but that's basically what you end up with anyway. Do some yellow page hiking and find a gunsmith. There should be one under every leaf and rock in your state. Make sure you live close enough to him that you can get your hands around his neck if something isn't right. There are a slough of closet gunsmiths out there that talk tall but come out very short on good work. BE CAREFUL ! I know all about gun plumbers, I've been one full time for 26 years and I personally wouldn't trust any of them!

rod henrickson
Rod Henrickson

gunsmith
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

^