-----

"Gold or Other Metal Plating on Aluminum for Chemical Resistance to Mild Aqueous Conditions"

I am looking for advice on a coating for scientific equipment that will be machined from aluminum. The machined part will have wells that will contain aqueous solutions of proteins, buffers (4<pH<11), salts. While for the most part innocuous, I want to avoid direct contact with Aluminum surface and thought gold would be the best plating. Added advantage of gold is that the entire device will be immersed in a water bath to maintain a very constant (± 0.005 C at 20 C) temperature, and gold is an excellent heat conductor. However, I am finding that gold is somewhat porous and have no idea if this will have an effect on the experiments. How difficult is it to plate small pieces of aluminum (13" x 3" X 1/2") with gold (can it be done well with electroplating "kits"?) and are there good alternatives to gold that are chemically resistant and non-porous?

The purpose of the inquiry is to see if I can make an isopiestic apparatus from a single bar of metal; isopiestic devices date back to 1918 when Bousefield introduced the idea of balancing the vapor pressure of water over different aqueous solutions.

George DeTitta
scientist - Buffalo, NY
^

Hi, George. Gold plating might be ideal. Find a plating shop that does gold plating and has experience in electroplating of aluminum, and I'm sure they can do exactly what you need. Good luck.

^