-----

"Is Silver Deposit the same as Silverplate"

Hello, I have an antique serving platter that seems to be silver plated, it tarnishes and polishes like silverplate, but I am a little concerned. It says on the back of the platter: SILVER DEPOSIT ON SILVER NICKEL. I know that silver nickel is not silver, and does seem to be some concerns around serving food b/c of toxicity with copper alloy. I am wondering if "Silver Deposit" means that it is silver plated. My question is, given this info, do you think it is fine to serve food from this platter for special occasions and entertaining--is there a health concern? Many, many thanks!

Melissa Kingsley
Hobbyist - Dallas, Texas
^

Hi, Melissa. It is very common for the silver to wear out on silver plated flatware, and I don't think anyone considers it a hazard. Eventually it acquires a slight taste and a very worn look and people have it replated or throw it away. I can't imagine a silver plated nickel-silver platter being any sort of health issue. I don't know why it says "deposit" instead of "plate" but there may be or have been a regulation in the country of manufacture about how thick the silver must be to be called "silverplate".

^