-----

"Galvanized Kitchen Counter Top"

Ted,

I read your reply to several articles and respect your knowledge related to finishes.

My question is my wife wants to use galvanized sheet metal for her counter top in our farm house. Is this safe? Would you recommend aluminum or stainless steel?

Thanks for your time.

Guy D. Clark

Guy Clark
Hobbyist - Florala, Alabama
^

Hi, Guy. Solid zinc sheets are used for countertops, and I think that's okay, but I don't think galvanized sheet metal is appropriate for a few reasons including the fact that it may have a chromate treatment on it, which is, a toxic material that doesn't belong even though the concentration may be negligible, it will stain and discolor in use, and the underlying material is rustable steel. Stainless is fine, copper is fine but will discolor.

^