Paper About the Future of Effluent Treatment in Metal Finishing

(2000)

I am a PhD candidate at the NTUA and my research is about the effluent treatment of the metal finishing industry.

I found a very interesting paper titled "The future of effluent treatment in metal finishing" by R. Pinner, Managing Director, Lancy Laboratories Ltd. Unfortunately I couldn't find the magazine in which the paper was published. Because much of the information of this paper are very helpful for my research and because I would like to use them in my reports, I trying to find where this is published.

I know that Mr Ted MOONEY was employed as a Project Engineer with Lancy Laboratories and so I would like to ask him or anybody else who knows about this paper to inform me for the magazine I am trying to find. Thanks,

Ioanna GIANNOPOULOU
National Technical University of Athens - Athens - GREECE

(2000)

Sorry, Mr. Giannopoulou, I am not familiar with this specific paper, and could not quickly identify it in a lit search.

R. Pinner is presumably Robert Pinner, co-author of "The Surface Treatment and Finishing of Aluminum and Its Alloys", although I never met the man and know little about him except that he served some time as V.P. of the Institute of Metal Finishing.

Lancy Laboratories, Zelienople, PA, U.S.A. was a consulting engineering firm founded by Leslie E. Lancy (more about him can be found by Google-ing). It later became Lancy Environmental Systems, then Lancy International, Warrendale, PA. It was passed around through Alcoa Separations Technology, and I believe remnants may exist as part of U.S. Filter Co (although they must be tiny remnants because I couldn't find Lancy or Pinner with their search engine).

(2000)

Ted, As a former Technical Marketing Manager with Lancy, I have copies of all of the archived case studies, papers, etc that were part of Lancy since the early 60's. There was no R. Pinner that worked there, nor do I have a copy or recollection of the paper in question. Lancy Laboratories Ltd would indicate that this was not a US based company.

tom baker
Tom Baker
   wastewater treatment specialist
Warminster, Pennsylvania

(2000)

Hello *, In Western Europe, several installations for the treatment of sodium aluminate, as the waste product of aluminium surface treatment with caustic soda lye, are up and running under the name of 'Lancy Process.' They are based on the 1970s technology by Dr. Lancy (?) for crystallization of such streams. At present these installations are outdated.

As we are supplier of caustic soda lye, helping our customers with their used lye (i.e., the sodium aluminate), I have been looking for the Lancy Laboratories too, hoping that a newer version of this technology has come available.

It seems that there aren't any newer technologies currently applied in W-Europe here. Are there any elsewhere? I would highly appreciate any fingers pointed in a useful direction. Met vriendelijke groeten,

Wim van Dorst
- Amersfoort, the Netherlands

(2003)

For references, An article of Oberflashe Surface ( Swiss Electroplating Association Newsletter) dated 12 Jan 1971, is presenting the Lancy process and give Biblio ref. as follows:

1)Lancy, L.E. Plating Nr 2,54 (1967) An economic study of Metal Finishing waste Water treatments.
2)Pinner Electroplating and Metal finishing Nr 7, Nr 8, Nr 9 and Nr 20 (1967) Rinse water recirculation in combination with the integrated waste water Treatment

I would like to receive any others info about this treatment method.

Rast Francois
precious metals - Manila, Philippines

(2003)

I am currently employed at USFilter (in the IWS group) and worked with Dr. Lancy for approximately 15 years. I am familiar with the Lancy Integrated processes and have designed several systems myself. I would be pleased to discuss this process with you.

Jay B. Dwyer
- Ellwood City, Pennsylvania, USA