Aluminum Pretreat for Electroforming

(2000)

I would like to use Aluminum as a sacrificial Ni electroforming Mandrel.

How much do I need to pretreat the Aluminum. I'm short process tanks and at least for now need to minimize the process steps if possible. At least for starters since this is the first pass at this I only need enough adhesion to hold this together for processing, but I would like the deposit to be half decent. I would rather batch treat them in the lab for use at the plater later.

thanks

Paul Findeis
- Verbank, New York

(2000)

You pretreat that aluminum as if you wanted that nickel to hang on that part forever! If you are short process tanks, don't get involved. You won't ever get good results.

tom pullizzi portrait