SURFACE PREPARATION FOR BLUEING

(2000)

Could you please tell me any foolproof method existing ,to prepare the surface of the high carbon steel components,to achieve the best finish after BLUEING process.The finish produced should be uniform, unspotty and bright. Thanks.

VRISHALI SUMANT DALVI.
- Mumbai,Maharashtra,India

(2001)

A lot of times you can use steel wool [linked by editor to product info at Rockler] to even out the finish and then re-blue again and repeat the process until you get what you want. I have also tried something different and I sandblasted an old Remington 1100. It was in pretty bad shape. Pitted from rusting on the barrel and the receiver was rusty as well.. So I took the shotgun apart. I put cotton in the barrel at both ends and I was careful not to sandblast the inside area of the action. Then I proceeded to sand blast all the rust off of the gun. Without ever touching the surfaces, but with a clean rag. I then mounted the gun between 2 centers or should I say the barrel. I then took some blueing that I bought from Walmart and coated the barrel good and let me tell you it took like never before. It was a real black blue, though to be honest it almost looked like it had a parkerized finish. I have noticed over time the finish has smoothed out and the gun still looks nice and smooth. One thing, right after I blued the gun and let it dry, I soaked the gun with oil and it seemed to really soak it up.

It's worth a try .. good luck!

James Flint
- Tiffin, Ohio