World's most popular finishing site / Internet's friendliest corner

Safe Buffer RPMs for Polishing Aluminum

Q. I would like to know many RPMs a buffer can go before it burns the aluminum. I'm looking to get a good/fast buffer and want to make sure I get one that will do the job quickly without damaging the aluminum.

Allan Shapiro
Metal Polisher - Fairborn, Ohio

simultaneous July 16, 2009

A. It depends on the diameter of the buffing wheel. 6000 surface per minute is about the maximum, or roughly 2000 rpm for a 12" diameter wheel.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg, South Carolina

A. The diameter of your buffing wheel will determine the surface speed of the buff. In my experience I prefer a shaft speed of about 1600 rpm. The faster turning machines make your work a little more tricky (dangerous) and the polishing compounds fly off the faster turning buffs.
With a little practice you will learn how much pressure to apply and how long you can stay in one area before you burn it.

Frank DeGuire
- St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Q. What max rpm for buffing aluminum with a 2" dia pad and a 3" dia pad? These size pads and light weight buffers are great for tight places on aircraft without wearing your shoulders out. Thanks.

Gabe fernandez
- Edmonds, Washington USA

adv.    EPI banner