How to Bring Old Rhodium Back to New?

(2000)

We have a jewelry polishing and plating business, and have a problem for the past few months with Rh plating. My Rh is getting very dark. I have done the charcoal filtering, added more distilled water, added more Rh when needed, keep it as clean as possible & yet I can't seem to get that "white, white" look I require. I have platinum anodes and I use the 1 gram bottles of concentrated Rh (dilute with distilled water). Last year I kept on replacing the Rh whenever this would happen with a new 1 gram bottle. I now have almost of gallon of the "used" Rh and would like to know how to replenish or refine that gallon so it can be used again?

Victor Points
- Boca Raton, Florida

(2000)

You are getting a build up of metallic impurities in your rhodium bath which is unavoidable overtime. There is a method to precipitate most of these out with Potassium Ferrocyanide but it requires some analytical work and is not practical on a bath as small as yours. If you are using a quart of solution it likely contains 2 grams of rhodium when it is new so instead of adding concentrate your best bet is to just use up the rhodium before the metallic impurities have a chance to build up and then start with a fresh quart of solution.

Neil Bell
Red Sky Plating

Albuquerque, New Mexico
red sky banner ad