(one of the world's very few 'no registration' sites)

-----

"Iridite 17P and RoHS compliant alternates?"

Current question:

I am looking for the current process for chromate conversion coat over copper: either Iridite 17P Mix B or Iridite 8P Mix C-3. Is this still offered or is there an updated acceptable similar?

Mike Jones
- Boston, Massachusetts
^

A. Hi Mike. I don't see any reason to believe that they are still available, but check with your Macdermidenthone rep.

As for 'acceptable similar', if it's your own product, it's up to you to decide what is sufficiently similar; but if someone else specified it, you probably realize that you have to trace back to who that is, and have them sign off on a substitute -- no such thing as accepted alternate.

^

Closely related historical postings, oldest first:

2005

RFQ: I need Iridite 7p and 17p for copper alloys passivation on waveguides. Some old mechanical drawings request these surface treatments on waveguide assemblies.
I don't know if they are powders or other because we never see them.
If they are powders we need about 20 Kg. (More in future?)
Please contact me by mail, thank You.

Matteo Biggi
Microwave components, waveguides - Firenze, Italy
^

^- Sorry, this RFQ from 2005 is outdated
     View Current RFQs

Q. Is the chromate conversion coat used over silver plating, ASTM B700 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet], RoHS compliant?

Mark Schwan
product designer - Rochester, New York
^

A. Hi Mark. In the old days it surely wasn't. Sometime in the future it almost surely will be.

For the present I think you'll need to find out from your plating shop exactly what chromate conversion coating they are applying because both hexavalent and RoHS-compatible are probably available to them.

^

Q. Where or how can I get an MSDS or SDS for CHROMATE COMPOUND equivalent to IRIDITE 17P immersion solution?

Wilhelm Grevel
JMC - McAlester, Oklahoma, USA
^

A. Hi Wilhelm. Iridite is a MacDermid-Enthone trade name, so you will have to start at macdermidenthone.com. Unfortunately, that info is not available on the open www anymore, so I can't check for you. They, like many others, have moved to a system where you'll need to register before you can see stuff. Finishing.com was the first website in the world in the finishing industry, and it certainly seems we're on track to become the last :-)

^