Masking for Anodizing

(2000)

I am looking for an anodizing masking method to prevent an area of a part from anodizing.

Tony Prosser
- Tucson, Arizona

(2000)

The most common methods are tape, liquid masking (paint like) and solid masking methods like plugs.

(2000)

Hi Tony,

Since this guy is roaming around here and he keeps tabs on my posts *GRIN*. Call Mark at U.S. Specialty Color down in North Carolina I do believe, They sell a liquid maskant that can be purchased in 1 gallon and 5 gallon containers, I've got a 1 gallon myself and it will probably last me a very long time, and its relatively inexpensive, around 35-40 for a 1 gal. container. If you're looking for something more along the lines of caps, plugs or tapered masks, well take your pick. There's no less than 10-12 that I can think of. Names like Shercon, Mocap, Tapecase. There's a bunch more out there too.

Matthew Stiltner
- Toledo, Ohio

(2000)

The best way depending on the flatness of the area is US Speciality. I use about 1 gallon per week for flat surf. and it works faster and cleaner than tapes, but if you want to use tape C.S. Hyde have a green poly tape inexpensive and can be dye cut to the right size with a release liner, we're talking pennies here for over 5K. Liquid mask is best put on by silk screen ( you can get a cheap one from a PCB supplier if they have some around and screens are also low cost.

steve bradley
- Ottawa Ontario Canada