Uses of HF in Metal Finishing

(2000)

I am researching the uses of HF in metal finishing. I have found the following (what I believe are relatively common) uses: pickling stainless steel, desmutting high silicon aluminum alloys and die castings, and etching aluminum, titanium and beryllium

Thanks. Karen Thomas Pollution Prevention Consultant

Karen Thomas
- Boston, Massachusetts

(2000)

Hello.

We use HF for both pickling of stainless steels and for a bright-dip/descaler of a silicon-iron bronze. This bronze is used to manufacture aerospace bearing cages which we then silver plate.

I am curious as to what motivates your study? Simply put, we have found no substitute for HF when there is silica in the metal you are working with. We do often use sodium fluoride salts in an acid solution instead of strait HF for safety reasons and rarely see a problem.

Mike wells
- jamestown, New York

(2000)

Hello, Karen!
HF is used in EN plating on magnesium for activation because magnesium fluoride can be deposited on the surface and give protection. Someone uses NH4HF2 to replace HF but has found it not very successful. Hope you can find a better alternative.

Yanghui Xiang
- Shanghai, China

(2001)

Help me on things about stainless steel.

Muhammed Patel
- Gloucester