Is Bleach a Tarnishing Agent for Silver?

(2000)

Greetings!

I apologize if this is not the place to ask this, but I can't seem to find any online info anywhere else.

I have a ring that was sold to me as sterling silver, and recently, at work, I was doing some cleaning with bleach diluted in quite a bit of water (about 1 part bleach to 3 parts water). Anyway, I didn't think to take my ring off, and later I noticed that it seemed tarnished (3/4 of it was almost black).

One of the ladies I work with told me that it must've been silver-plated, because sterling silver wouldn't have done that. Personally, I think it's tarnished, but don't want to spend money on a silver-polishing agent if it turns out that indeed it is not tarnish.

Any opinions? TIA!

Alan Murrell
- North Vancouver, BC Canada

Silversmithing

(2001)

If your ring has a mark inside stamped 925 or sterling then it is silver. and yes bleach of any kind will tarnish it. try using a polishing compound or even an abrasive toothpaste.

Theresa Case
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada

(2004) -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

I bleached out my trash can the other day and forgot to take off my sterling silver spoon ring. Does anyone know how I can get the discoloration to go away?

Amanda Hicks
Legal Secretary - Robertsdale, Alabama

Electrolytic Cleaning Plate

(2005)

Bleach will definitely turn your sterling black, or make it look tarnished. However, your local jeweler will be able to polish your sterling silver and return it to like new again.

Diane Biro
- East Alton, Missouri, USA

(2006)

I washed purse with all my sterling jewelry in it. the purse was white so it turned my stuff all black now only one of them turned back to color what should I do.

Ashley Sims
student - Texas