-----

Sterling Silver Tableware Badly Tarnished

I washed my sterling silver tableware in the dishwasher at Christmas this year, as I have been doing for 46 years, but this time used a "new" Cascade with bleach power. It came out of the dishwasher very tarnished with a white-ish coating and much tarnish. I tried the Al foil, salt in boiling water method, then rubbed vigorously. A lot of tarnish came off, and also the "white" coating, however it still looks very different from the pieces which were not washed this time in the dishwasher. The fork tines and bowl of the spoon appear to be worse than the handles - perhaps of a different composition (?) It is made by Gorham. What else can I try? Can you recommend a solution? Thank you.

Irene Edison
- Cocoa Beach, Florida

"Silver Tarnish Strips"

Affil. Link
Your purchases make finishing.com possible

Bleach is a known enemy to sterling. If silver polishes don't do the trick you can seek out a silversmith in your area and have the flatware polished professionally. The proper rouge and buffing wheel will help the silver look new again.

fellow plater - Syracuse, N.Y.

Thank you, Mark Baker, for your response. There is no warning on the Cascade dishwashing liquid regarding use with silverware. A few polishings later - still looks the same, and very different from the rest of the set. Guess I'll check out silversmiths.

Irene Edison
- Cocoa Beach, Florida, USA