-----

Copper sulphate test over hard chrome plated surface

I am engineer in plating shop and we are processing hard chrome plating in an product. After plating we are doing buffing operation.

To confirm the chrome removal in the surface due to buffing, I have dipped the buffed samples in copper sulphate solution.

Observations: I have noticed copper depositions in some of the buffed areas then and there.

Question: Will the copper deposit on fully chrome plated surface.

Can I conclude that there is presence of material removal

Arunachalam M
Plating shop employee - Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India

Or you can conclude that you have an iron contamination in your buffing setup. Shape will give a bit of a clue.