-----

Welding silver wire jewelry

Hi, I just started working with silver wire to make jewelry and I wanted to know if there is any way I could weld jump rings without having to buy expensive machines to achieve that (not yet). Is there an easy simple way of doing that?
Thanks for your advice

Amy keddis
hobbyist - Guiza, Cairo, Egypt

You can use alcohol lamp ,cheap and very ancient and old soldering tool.You can even make your own solder-melt 1 part silver and two parts brass sheet cuttings,as soldering flux you can use Borax [affil link] mixed with water (thick slurry).Hope it helps and good luck!

- Croatia

First of two simultaneous responses -- January 22, 2009

Do I need to use solder melt and reflux chemicals to solder the silver jump rings, or is heat just enough to do that? If yes, how,where and when do I use them?

Amy keddis
- Cairo, Egypt

Second of two simultaneous responses -- January 22, 2009

Correct solder formula:2 parts silver/1 part sheet brass.And you need blowpipe(thin brass or copper tube).Barbecue coal can be used as soldering bed.Hope it helps and good luck!

- Cerovski vrh Croatia