-----

Training for Barrel Nickel Plating

Looking for information on schooling specifically for operating a barrel nickel line.

Christy Gilchrist
Plating Shop - Springfield, Vermont

Christy,

I don't think I have ever heard of a school specifically for barrel nickel platers. You really have to develop your own "learning experience". I would suggest getting a copy of the book "Practical Electroplating" (used, its out of print) and/or The Electroplating Engineering Handbook (I apologize, I am on the road and do not have an entirely correct memory of the authors names). These are publications that were useful when I was an instructor for a plating course. You can also research other facets of nickel plating by reading the chapters on same in the Metal Finishing Guidebook (Metal Finishing Magazine) and the annual edition of "Products Finishing" Magazine. Further, there is information available here on this site.

If you need detailed instruction I would suggest hiring a consultant or a retired nickel plater to spend time training personnel.

Gene Packman
- Great Neck, New York

The NASF/AESF foundations offer some decent training programs for plating, wastewater treatment, and safety/compliance. Their 4 day "Electroplating & Surface Finishing" course touches on many areas related to plating and conversion coating processing, and is quite useful for both engineers and operators.

Check out their site: https://www.nasf.org/Content/NavigationMenu/AESFFoundation/TrainingandEducation/default.htm

If this is not to your liking, you could always contract a consultant to perform in-house training.

Terry Lycans
Aerospace - Dayton, Ohio