-----

Finishing a processional cross

I am re-doing a processional cross for our church. After I stain the wood, can I install the brass plated cross and then spray polyurethane on the combination?

Tim Pfister
hobbyist - Falls City, NE, United States of America

Certainly you "can" do it that way, but I think you'll get a better looking job if you use clear acrylic on the brass. Polyurethane will yellow over time, and give the brass a tarnished look. Do the wood and brass separately and assembled after.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg, South Carolina

Try Everbrite [a finishing.com supporting advertiser] coating. Sharkhide is good brand too. If you like do it yourself style Acryloid B 44 dissolved in toluene is OK (7,5%). Hope it helps and good luck!

- Cerovski vrh Croatia