-----

Did I ruin my silver with bleach?

My name is Phil Williams from Los Angeles, Ca.
This is the flu season, so after my annual Christmas dinner, I put about a half cup of bleach in my dishwater to sanitize the dishes and silver. The silver came out dull and tarnished. Did I ruin it or is there a process to restore the shine to each piece?

If someone knows what I should do, please let me know.

Phil Williams
- Los Angeles, California

First of two simultaneous responses -- December 30, 2008

It is not ruined. Restore it with a good silver polish and lots of elbow grease.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg, South Carolina

Second of two simultaneous responses -- December 30, 2008

Hand polish with silver polish.

The normal dishwasher temperature (65 degrees C or 150 degrees F) effectively sterilises the load without the need for addition of any chlorine.

Bill Reynolds
Bill Reynolds [deceased]
consultant metallurgist - Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
We sadly relate the news that Bill passed away on Jan. 29, 2010.