-----

Safety of galvanized barbecue

I was needing help with a spit roast BBQ we purchased the body is made from galvanized metal and we have been told that it is not good as it will release the toxic chemicals but from what I have been reading the galvanized steel needs to get quite hot before it starts to powder. My dad has made a sheet from aluminum to put on top of the Gal, do you think we would still have an issue? We are putting on a lamb for Christmas and the last thing I need is for people to get sick.
The people who we bought the spit off advised they have not had any problems with it.

Hope to hear from somebody soon.

Fiona

Fiona Dellis
student - Sydney, NSW, Australia

Hi, Fiona. Galvanizing is zinc and it is not toxic; cold prevention pills are zinc, and people eat them. Although people who do welding for a living can inhale too much zinc fumes and get sick, that doesn't mean the same principle is applicable to your guests. But I'd do a test run of the barbecue with no food in it anyway regardless of what it was made of, to burn off paints, oils, etc., especially if entertaining. So charge it up with charcoal tonight, light it, and it will be fine for Christmas.