-----

Interpreting Corrosion Specifications

I have the following corrosion specification from a customer who would like an NSS test carried out on a part to ASTM B117 [affil. link] specification requirements. It is '24 hrs to white corrosion, 96 hrs to red rust'.

It seems simple enough. However what does it actually mean?

My experience is with unambiguous specs such as 24 hrs 'no' white rust, 96 hrs 'no' red rust'.

Can someone offer some guidance on how to interpret this. The reason for the question is that part was showing white rust after 24hrs. Has it passed or failed?

I look forward to your comments.

Kind Regards

Louis Collins
Metallurgist currently involved in electroplated finishes. - Birmingham, UK

Hi, Louis. Sounds to me like the part failed and so does the language. But I'm sure that if it failed by 24 hours, it also had failed by 23 hours 59 minutes 59 seconds and was therefore not in compliance :-)