-----

Options for low VOC clear coat finishes on steel

For years I have used various brands of lacquers to clear coat the cleaned and prepped steel in my projects. I am now looking to re-investigate this step in my fabrication process because of the high VOC levels found in most lacquers. I am wondering if their are other products that work well on steel that have relatively hard finishes and lower VOC's. I am also curious how to apply oil finishes to steel and if this might be another approach along with natural waxes. Thanks.

Barrett Eastwood
Designer, Craftsman - Charlottesville, Virginia

Hi, Barrett. One answer, although it's suited only to factory work not field work, is electrocoating (electrophoretic lacquer). Another possible answer is clear powder coating.

Personally I doubt that an oiling or waxing will be robust enough for you.

You might want to talk to the people at an automotive/industrial paint supply house. Many lacquers/paints supplied for automotive and industrial use are "low VOC" materials. It may be necessary for you to use different guns and/or drying methods.

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York