-----

Best coating for black exhaust tips?

Q. Howdy all, I'm currently a college student that is looking for some help with my car obsession.

I was wondering if someone here could help me out with a question that I've never really gotten a straight answer for, I would like to know what the best coating durability wise would be for to create black exhaust tips. I've seen black chrome and powder coated exhaust tips for sale.

However I live in Wyoming and I drive my car daily and the current chrome tips are getting their full share of rusting pits, will this black chrome be the same way? Any suggestions as to how to take care of the pits in the chrome, or any defense against future rust development? I've heard that powder coating is to be avoided when it comes to exhaust as it can flake or even burn off, any truth to this?

What about other types of coating that may prove to be suitable for exhaust tips?

Garrett

Garrett Buckert
Buyer - Laramie, Wyoming, USA

A. Hi, Garrett. If a manufacturer were to ask the same question that you did, some technical answers might be provided. But unfortunately the situation with consumer products is that you are completely at the mercy of the supplier rather than the technology :-)

For a relevant example, consider that pickup truck bumpers and other original chrome items on vehicles usually last a decade or more, yet your exhaust tip quickly rusted. OEMS employ an extremely rigorous process for chrome plating; aftermarket suppliers often provide shoddy quality whether its bright chrome or black chrome. Please see our "Introduction to Chrome Plating" to understand the difference in the process.

Similarly for powder coating. I have a powder coated steel patio set that is not yet beginning to rust after 9 years outdoor exposure year 'round on my deck on a saltwater lagoon. But I can hardly count all the chairs and chaises I've thrown out in that period that didn't survive a single summer season.

If you have found a brand that you trust, buy their exhaust tips if you like the looks, regardless of the technology. But my preference would probably be real black ceramic (porcelain) coating.

thumbs up signThanks Ted, I was thinking that it might be along those lines. I'll look around and see if I can't find anyone local that does any ceramic coating. If not I'll see what the shops can recommend as far as brand of tips.

Garrett

Garrett Buckert
Buyer - Laramie, Wyoming, USA