-----

Can I use Cvd system for metallizing and tiN COATING?

I want to use CVD technique for metallizing and titanium nitride coating.

Nazeer Hussain
Buyer - Palakad

I'm not sure about metallizing with a CVD system, but you can deposit TiN. However, the deposition temperature is quite high -- over 1100 C. I would suggest that you look at PVD instead of CVD. With a PVD system you can metallize and deposit a wide variety of hard nitrides, not just TiN, as well as carbo-nitrides, and, depending on the equipment that you use, oxides, solid lubricants (MoS2, WS2) and diamond-like carbon. Optimum deposition temperatures vary with the coating, but the highest is around 450 °C for TiN.

jim treglio portrait
Jim Treglio - scwineryreview.com
PVD Consultant & Wine Lover - San Diego,
California

I'm not sure about metallizing with CVD, but the first commercial TiN coatings on tool inserts were deposited by CVD, so it is a well-established process. The problem with CVD TiN is that it requires temperatures on the order of 1100 C, too high for tool steels. This led to the development of PVD coatings on cutting tools, where the deposition temperature for TiN is closer to 450 C. Since you can also metallize with a PVD system, I would suggest you consider PVD over CVD.

jim treglio portrait
Jim Treglio - scwineryreview.com
California