-----

Removing snap ring burr on an interrupted cut on work hardened spline

I flow form (extreme cold forming) pinion carriers that have an internal spline (steel 1035, HRB 85-90). I machine a snap ring groove into the spline using roughing and finishing groove inserts. I am left with a burr on the exit of the snap ring. I am currently using an automated wire brush machine to (trying to...) remove the burr. I am looking for different methods of deburr and/or machining of the snap ring groove. I am running 500,000-750,000 parts a year and need to maintain a cycle time of 35 seconds.

Any input / help will be greatly appreciated.

Rob Herston

Rob Herston
Manufacturing Engineer - Shelby Township, Michigan, USA

A lot of questions. Size of part? Material? Is this an inline process? Does the quantity need to be deburred at the same rate? Have you considered thermal or ECD?

tony kenton
AF Kenton
retired business owner - Hatboro, Pennsylvania

The part has a 142mm OD and the snap-ring groove being deburred is 2.3 mm wide x Ø143. Material is work hardened 1035. Yes- I must maintain a cycle time of 35 seconds. This is a lean process 1-piece flow.

No I haven't looked into thermo or ECD....yet.

Rob Herston
- Shelby Township, Michigan, USA

Your production rate seems to lend itself to some kind of automation. All the alternatives I gave you were batch type operations. If you don't have to have an in-line operation the options still might maintain your production rate; however, it probably would mean additional handling. Your wire wheel system is a good in-line method. If that system can maintain your rate, it sounds like you might want to try optional wheels. There are a lot of different sizes, shapes, and wheel materials. If they don't perform as you want, try a double wheel system.

tony kenton
AF Kenton