World's most popular finishing site / Internet's friendliest corner

Why does Baking Soda Blasting prevent rust?

I was searching on the net for different types of sandblasting, and found soda blasting.
They use baking soda to blast off paint and grime on a variety of materials without digging the blast media in the materials surface. it has some other advantages over sand or the conventional blast media

One advantage that I especially like is the fact if you soda blast on a a metal piece until its bare to the surface, it won't rust unless you wash off all the baking soda residue.
I know it's already used professionally for blasting off the paint on cars.
How is it that the metal not rusts, even if it lays there untreated for a couple of weeks.
Anyone knows why or has experience with soda blasting.

Elky Black
Hobbyist - Eeklo, O-Vl-Belgium

Hi, Elky. Baking soda (bicarbonate of soda, sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3) is slightly alkaline and is dry, two environmental factors that tend to deter rusting. Also, compared to one of the alternatives, acid dipping, which leaves metal active and prone to flash rusting, you are avoiding that. I don't think it's a guarantee that metal won't rust for a couple of weeks, but it certainly slows rust.

Thank you, Mr Mooney.

Very useful information

Greetings Elky

Elky Black
- Eeklo, O-Vl-Belgium

while searching for the most adequate solution to paint removing on large sensitive aluminium surfaces I found the process of soda blasting.
Now I have two questions:
1. Am I able to use my existing sandblasting equipment?
2. Where do I get the Baking soda in the right consistency and amount from?
I live in Ireland.
With my best thanks for an answer
Karl

Karl Senn
Hobbyist - Newport, ROI/Ireland

Soda Blasting Media

Hi, Karl. Conversion kits are available for your blaster. The soda is available labeled as soda blasting media. Good luck.

hi,
I am an industrial roofer presently unemployed due to the recession,i am looking into soda blasting as a new business venture. I believe it can open the doors to many avenues of work.i have been reading up on different products. there are different abrasives you need a soda blaster after cooler and a compressor. I looked at web sites all have similar products. I need advice on what is suitable for me as a beginner to enable me to do a professional job and is not going to cost me the earth, also I can't see anyone in Ireland that supply the soda
I welcome your reply

maurice ferris
beginner - Dublin Ireland

Hi, Maurice. I don't have any experience in this -- I'm just reading the same stuff as other readers. This site doesn't print recommendations of specific brands, but if any experienced readers have suggestions regarding types of equipment, options, how much to spend, and what to look for, we'd appreciate it. Good luck.