-----

Corrosion in new digital camera

I recently bought a brand new Fuji Finepix S5700 from Jessops online. After one week of use it ceased to operate and Fuji are unwilling to repair under guarantee and will only give me a trade in of £38. The reason for this they say is liquid corrosion.
To me it looks like a build up of copper corrosion. Can anyone tell me how long this may take to form, as I find it very difficult to believe that this has occurred in the short time that I have had the camera.

Iain Wilkie
hobbyist - Kirkwall

Hi, Iain. Looking at the picture and trying to estimate corrosion rates for varying exposure conditions is one thing, but it's really easier than that. Either you dropped it in the lake or left it out in the rain or you didn't.

If you did one of those things, sorry, you need to buy a new camera because you didn't take proper care of it, and an argument that coincidentally it was corroding before that is a little silly. But if you didn't, you get to raise holy hell that they sold you defective merchandise and have refused to honor the warrantee. So which is it?