-----

Cadmium Plating a Copper-Aluminum Bushing?

My shop needs to fabricate a bushing for an aircraft. The original design spec calls for AMSQQP416 [affil. link] Ty II Cl 2 cad plate on a copper-aluminum alloy base metal. I've never heard of this. Can you explain? Thanks!

Russ Ackley
Aerospace Manufacturing Engineer - Lancaster, California, USA

Hi, Russ. Mil-QQ-P-416 is the spec you are looking for. Your tax money is spent to make this spec available for free to your offshore competition, so you may as well download a "free" copy yourself from http://assist.daps.dla.mil/quicksearch/basic_profile.cfm?ident_number=51006. It describes what type II and class 2 mean, and all of the requirements for this coating. Good luck.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I had never heard of cad plating copper-aluminum alloy and I was curious as to why you would do that. Sorry for the confusion.
Russ

Russ Ackley
- Lancaster, California, USA

I'm not familiar with the component in question, but there is no particular reason why cad plating is inappropriate that I'm aware of. Perhaps the component on the stationary side of the bushing is cad plated or aluminum, and the bushing is plated for galvanic compatibility?