-----

White spots on 22ct high polished gold rings

Hello Myself Padma from India a goldsmith. While polishing my finger rings in 22 kt yellow gold sometimes I came across some white spots on it. As no electroplating is done on it as the natural colour is preferred those spots give me trouble. Gold is refined in nitric acid method. I think those spots are rhodium which is left from the refining process. If anybody know about this please help. Bye Padma

Padmanava Jethy
goldsmith - Cuttack, Orissa, India

How do you know that it is really 22 K if you do not know what is in it.
My thought is that any rhodium should have formed a homogeneous alloy and not be showing white spots. I am not a jeweler, so that is a guess.