-----

Calculate Dispense Volume of Liquid Copper Sulfate

How do I calculate the amount of liquid copper sulfate to add to an acid copper bath when we originally used flakes? For example, we would add 2 kg of copper sulfate flakes. How do I go to a volume. The supplier told me the density of the copper sulfate is 1.166 but I thought (CuSO4.5H2O) has a density 2.284. Can someone please walk me through the process of eliminating the units to leave just kg?

Michael

Michael Hedrick
Harrisonburg, Virginia

Michael,

You first need to find out what the weight (as copper sulfate) per volume (liter, gallon, etc)is of the liquid copper sulfate you purchased. This is usually on the container, technical data sheet and/or product MSDS. If all else fails, call the manufacturer. When you have this information it's a simple calculation to get the dry weight equivalent.

Gene Packman
- Great Neck, New York