Etching Primer for Chrome to Enable Paint to Adhere ?

(2000)

I am restoring an antique car and having trouble getting paint to stick to the background of a newly chrome plated badge despite lightly scuffing it with 600 wet paper. Can anyone tell me of an over-the-shelf product I can purchase in a small quantity to etch or prime with, for adhesion of my paint?

Help!

Ray Charest
- Toronto, Canada

(2000)

Hydrochloric acid, available everywhere as Muriatic Acid [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], will easily etch the chrome. Be very careful of over etching and you will need to very careful of dissolving the chrome completely if the acid is undiluted.

A fine airbrush with an abrasive will provide a good mechanical surface for adhesion, and there are many precision airbrushes around that will accept fine carbide or carborundum abrasives. Again, be careful and use a stencil mask to help avoid damaging your item.

Dale Woika
SCSC - Bellefonte, Pennsylvania

Well actually I'm asking this question on behalf of a friend who's into automotive body repairs. Can epoxy primer(automotive)be applied on chrome? If not what's the recommended primer. Thank you!

Donnel Charles
Paint Mixer - Grenada, West Indies