Thumb rule (easy method) or Basic principal of plating over ferrous & non ferrous material

(2000)

Hello, My name is B.S. Rathore. I am mechanical engineer & I am working in electronic company. I need to know easy method to find out the correct plating over metal. can somebody give some useful suggestions.

Bahadur Singh Rathore
- Udaipur, Raj. India

(2000)

There are too many variations to list in one letter. Strongly recommend that you buy " Electroplating Engineering Handbook. No plater should be without this reference.

(2000)

Dear Watts,

Thanks Watts, can you please tell me about the plating which can be done over Steel and there after tin. i.e, (Steel+ unknown plating+ Tin) to make it solderable with good corrosion result & better adhesion property. The book you have suggested will take at least 10 to 15 days for me to procure (buy) and I want to solve my problem within 2 to 3 days.

thank you, B.S. Rathore.

Bahadur Singh Rathore
- Udaipur, Raj., India

What constitutes good corrosion resistance depends on the environment the part will see, but you can copper plate underneath the tin plate if you wish, Bahadur. Or you can plate the tin directly on the steel. Or you can plate it with nickel before the tin. Or you can plate it with electroless nickel and omit the tin. And there are a number of other variations.

If you feel that you don't know enough about plating to properly specify it, you can retain a consultant to select the plating for you. Good luck with it.