-----

Copper Plating Oxidized

2000

I, M a student involved in a CP Chem class.
We are now in our electrochemistry unit and my lab group and I chose to do an experiment on copper plating. We are trying to find the effects of voltage on the mass of copper plated. We are using a copper nitrate [affil link] bath and a copper strip as an anode(+).

We are plating four different kinds of metals: zinc, steel,aluminum, and copper for ten minutes. However, in the plating process the surface of the different metals becomes badly oxidized. We've tried everything(boiling the solution, adding sulfuric acid,trying to plate 0000 steel wool [affil. link] ) and our teacher can not explain what's happening, please, what can stop this? We are running out of time, Fast!

Marissa Madsen
- Mesa, Arizona
outdaTed Mooney, finishing.com

2000

I live in Mesa. Have your teacher call or e-mail me. I would be happy to give a short talk on the plating process, and may even be able to arrange a tour to a local plating facility.

bill vins
Bill Vins
microwave & cable assemblies - Mesa (what a place-a), Arizona

I have sanded an iron profile and cleaned all the black cover. Now the surface is almost silver and I want to stain it (chemically or otherwise, but not to paint it) in order to give it a more natural rigid and rough look.

Yotam Kasam
HOBBYIST - Israel, Tel-Aviv