Anodizing questions I need to ask

I am a anodizer of one company in malaysia. here I got a question about surface finishing. how to produce a smooth aluminium surface after anodizing? how to make sure to have a consistent colour? that's my only questions I need to ask. thanks....

Ling Chu Liik
anodizing - Malaysia

You start with an aluminum part that is slightly smoother than what you need after anodize. Use a non etch cleaner or a very light etch cleaner. Avoid long times in prep tanks.
For consistent color, the anodize must be thick enough to take the dye uniformly. It also needs to have good solution circulation and somewhat similar line of sight to the cathodes. Dye tanks need to be regularly analyzed for pH, and dye content as well as a constant temp. You need excellent sealing.

Is it mandatory that in order to meet BS1615 standards, colour must be consistent for a clear anodising finish?

Ashley Tay
- Malaysia

May , 2008

Hi, Ashley. BS1615:1987 is a withdrawn standard. Please see BS EN 12373-1 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet].