-----

Need Coating of metal with teflon

Q. I need to create a small teflon rod about 1/4" dia. by 2-3" long which is stronger than a pure piece of PTFE of that size. Thus, I'm looking for information on how to coat a metal piece (any kind of metal) with teflon resin. I don't want the pan coating - it comes off too easily. I would like to coat it at least 0.040" or deeper! The use for this piece is as a barrier to push a coating across a water surface; a barrier which needs to be extremely non-reactive, strong and easy to clean. (teflon!) Thanks, Doug

Douglas Martin
University of Texas at Austin - Austin, Texas
2000

simultaneous

A. Try shrink teflon tubing. If that is not thick enough, try two layers. This takes a bit of luck and a bit of skill. If you can stand thicker wall, like 1/16", Regular teflon tubing will work. Warm it in boiling water and freeze your pin on dry ice. Shove fast. Will give a very snug fit.

A. Talk to engineers at General Magnaplate [Linden, NJ] and see if they can help you.

Mandar Sunthankar
- Fort Collins, Colorado

RFQ: Looking to have several magnesium parts chrome plated, or Dow 7 finish. Plating is preferred. Is there any one in Ontario, New York, Ohio or Michigan capable of doing this? I have several contacts for California, but I would like to find a local contact for this job... Thank you;

Marty Broeders
- Woodview ; Ontario, Canada
2000

Sorry, this RFQ is outdated, but technical replies are welcome. No public brand/source suggestions please ( huh? why?)

A. Mr. Martin's inquiry got a couple of good responses, to which I'll only add this: many people apparently don't realize that metal finishing is a very strongly 'job shop' oriented business. That is to say that you don't need to personally develop a teflon coating procedure in order to get a teflon coated rod. You just find a coating shop, send them your rods, and they come back teflon coated. Marty Broeders, you might want to try Luke Engineering & Mfg. Co., Inc [a finishing.com supporting advertiser] in Wadsworth, Ohio

2000

A. Mr Douglas, You can ask Dupont for the nearest Dupont LIA (Licensed Industrial Applicator)for Teflon coatings. All of them are great professionals that can help you.

Jordi Pujol
- Barcelona, Spain