-----

What's new in powder coating

13 Apr 2000

Suggestions: I am doing some market research on the industry, and some new processes that could be used.

I would be very grateful if you could give me some information on how well the powder coating industry is doing at the moment and new technologies in powder coating on plastics. Is there a market for it.

Eric White
University Student

2000

Eric - The powder coating coating industry seems to growing at a pretty good rate. Environmental concerns are helping many companies make the switch from paint. Also, finish durability is often a deciding factor. That said, the last part of your inquiry asks about powder coating on plastics -it seems to me that it would be pretty hard to cure the powder on a plastic part without causing it to warp or misshape (powder coating usually cures in the 400 F range).

Readers, if I'm wrong about the last part, feel free to enlighten me.

Dan Brewer
chemical process supplier - Gurnee, Illinois

2000

Powder coating on plastic is almost available. It will be a lower cure temp. and most likely a clear coat. The powder market is also expanding into the wood market as well. Growth area in powder metal finishing is in the low end of the market where smaller manufactures are finally converting to powder.

Dean Burke
- Norwalk OH