-----

Black oxidizer on aluminium

2000

Luc Paquet

I want to make a black finish on aluminium surgical tools.

I want a dark black color with non-conductivity, and a good resistance to cleaning and sterilization procedure.

I'll waiting for a answer.

merci! Luc.

LUC PAQUET
Atelier Soluc inc. - Quebec, Canada

2000

What types of cleaners and sterilizing chemicals do you use? A black oxide would be black, that part is true, but it would still be conductive, as it is nothing more than a conversion coating process. The other option that I could think of would of course be black anodizing, which solves both the issues you have as far as color and I'm assuming it would stand up the sterilization process, but again, knowing exactly what the things used to clean the tool(s) would be helpful. If this doesn't work, maybe someone out there could do a black nickel on aluminum (is it possible? Anyone able to do this process to confirm for me?)

Matthew Stiltner
J & J Plating Company - Toledo, Ohio