-----

How to restore an oxidizing aluminum gas tank?

2000

I am in the middle of restoring a small ocean fishing boat. A brief inspection of the aluminum gas tank revealed corrosion/oxidation to the exterior. After further investigation (a little elbow grease with a stainless steel wire brush) some pitting to the metal was noted. With safety in mind, how should one prepare the metal surfaces of a gas tank to be coated with an epoxy resin?

Bob Ehlers
- San Jose, California USA

2000

With safety in mind, one should probably leave it to people who have done it before because I'm not even sure what all the issues are. But in addition to prep work, they probably include grounding, venting, etc. Somebody who is more knowledgable than me ought to comment because my dim recollection was that aluminum was found to be an unsafe containment material for gasoline. I'm probably wrong and it was probably some other solvent that was incompatible with aluminum. Ted Mooney, finishing.com