Want to give polished brass antique patina

(2000)

I have read the FAQ's regarding creating patinas on brass. I merely have a home hobby project and do not want to spent $60. on a book or become a chemist! Is there any commercial product available that will enable me to "antique" polished brass? I have a project that I want to make look old, not polished and shiny. Many antiques I see have a beautiful mustard brown patina on the brass. How can I create this? Any simple methods? Thanks in advance.

Greg Brown
- Sausalito, California USA

(2000)

Hi Greg,

I'm sure your hardware store or Home Depot will have some sort of paint-like 'antiquing kit', and I'm equally sure you will be less than satisfied with the results. It's really like anything else: if it is quick and easy to do something it becomes so commonplace and unremarkable that you don't regard it as beautiful.

Beautiful patinas are the result of flame treatments and /or highly specialized chemical treatments, plus a lot of experience and skill. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but a trip to the library for a metal working book might help.